Friday, September 28, 2012

Sally Hansen Lustre Shine Lava

Hi you guys! Yay for Friday!

Sally Hansen recently came out with their Lustre Shine collection, a set of duochrome polishes infused with real silver particles. When I first heard, I didn't pay too much attention. After all, it seems like every polish company has come out with their own line of duochrome polishes which contains least one gold/green duochrome that looks awfully like Chanel Peridot. But that all changed when I saw the bottle shots of Lava. Pink/orange duochrome, which no one else is doing!! And could this be a dupe or at least be of a similar inspiration as Mac Bad Fairy, a lemming of mine that has eluded me?








Lava is composed of a sheer base with warm, shimmering pink/orange duochrome particles. What you see on the nails when you look at it from straight on is that the center color is pink, while the edges of the nails are orange. The more you tilt your hand, the more orange you will see. The polish comes out in smooth, medium consistency coats, and dry time is pretty quick. Due to its sheer base, you do need three coats to achieve the look you see in the swatches.

I went a little crazy with the pictures. I think I took over 100 shots in total to try to capture the color shift, and finally whittled it down to the few you see. My expectations were so high, and still Lava managed to blow me away. Since I don't have Mac Bad Fairy, I don't know if they are true dupes, but Lava totally fills the spot in my heart that had been lusting after Bad Fairy's pink/orange duochrome goodness.

The only negative is that Lava is a little pricey. I found mine at RiteAid for $8 for 0.33 fl oz, compared with salon brands such as OPI or Essie, which are $8 to $8.50 for 0.5 fl oz. And due to its medium consistency and needing three coats, you will see a noticeable dent in the bottle after each use.

For me, the only question left is, how many backup bottles should I buy? :P What do you guys think? Will you be picking up Lava or any of the other colors from this collection?

36 comments:

  1. so i dont have chanel periodot or any of the dupes. have you tried many of the dupes. if so, which would would you say has the best formula? im not sure which to get. so many options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only tried one (because I didn't want to buy a lot of the same thing lol), and it's OPI's Just Spotted the Lizard. I blogged about it, and you can find my post here http://thepolishhideout.blogspot.com/2012/05/opi-just-spotted-lizard.html, if you are interested in more info. I'm pretty happy with this one, and from what I have heard, it's a dead on dupe for Peridot. :-)

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  2. I just saw this the other day! I didn't buy it, but your swatches are making me regret it! Might have to pick this one up next time! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like my swatches! Yes, I think you will really like this one. :-)

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  3. Ooooh looks awesome! ^^ Truly truly gorgeous! I think two backup bottles should be okay ;) I pray Sally Hansen to cross the Atlantic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad you like it! Hmmm two bottles... yes, that might be enough. I hope Sally Hansen comes your way one day too. :-)

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  4. I love the fiery shift in this, it is so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I think it's gorgeous too! :-)

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  5. This looks beautiful on you! The shifts looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! despite the impossibly high expectations it seems like this one really delivers!
    Truly sad to know that the bottle is only a 0.33 and not 0.5oz...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally think this delivered! :-)
      Bummer about the smaller bottle. That's actually quite a big difference in bottle size. I guess that just means I need more than one bottle of it. :P

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  7. I think it's very pretty. And I dream of the day where I actually think that $8 for a bottle of pretty polish is expensive :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks interesting! I have seen these, but haven't decided if I want any yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought this and Scarab! Can't wait to try them out!! Walmart and Meijer had them cheaper than the other stores :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I look forward to hearing what you think of them. I don't have a Meijer near me, but I will have to check out Walmart. I would like to get a couple of backup bottles of Lava. Thanks for the tip! :-)

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  10. This one was the only one that I wanted to buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like this one! This ended up being the only one I got from the collection too... at least for now lol. :-)

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  11. That's a very interesting and pretty polish, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my, what a beautifull nailpolish!
    the effect is amazing i absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you approve! I feel the same way. :-)

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  13. Wow, Yun, this is a gorgeous polish anyway, but it's so beautiful and flattering on you. Someone posted a comparison with Bad Fairy, and I have to say I prefer Lava. Bad Fairy looked darker and a little more mottled, not quite as shifty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'm glad you like it! Oooh yes, I have seen a comparison and I prefer Lava, as well. In fact, I just took Bad Fairy off my wishlist. Teehee ^^

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  14. Such a striking duochrome! It's a very festive colour, reminds me of Chinese New Year or fireworks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like it! You're right, it is quite festive ;-)

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  15. I know what you mean glitters and duochromes are so hard to capture sometimes I take 20 to 30 pictures and all of them are bury :) The duochrome looks great on your nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially have trouble with glitters, because the focus has to be so exact for the picture to come out clear. Thanks, I'm glad you like the polish. :-)

      ~ Yun

      Delete
  16. Gorgeous! I can't wait to get my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought a bottle of Lava just last Thursday at a local Walgreen's store. This is now my most favorite multi-chromal-sparkly polish! Photos don't do the unique and flashy effect it has justice. If you see a bottle of this at your drug store - buy it; you won't be disappointed. I got so many compliments on my nails all weekend with this polish on my hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! For sure, this is an amazing polish. I'm glad you're loving it! :-)

      ~ Yun

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...